There are many resources that will aid in my exploration of flash games in relation to my analytical framework. Articles such as those from Makar (2002) and Neeta (2018) will be useful in understanding the different genres within flash games. There are many articles on nostalgia in the gaming industry including those on nostalgia and wellbeing (Wulf, et al. 2020), as well as game history and nostalgia (Esposito, n.d.). Articles like ‘Generation Flash’ by Manovich (n.d.) will be useful in understanding the flash system itself and the technological affordances it provides in relation to gaming.
My research on flash games themselves will likely come from more non-academic sources as these I’ve found to be more specific to my topic. There are many articles that delve into how flash games have shaped the internet, including those by The Atlantic (Salter & Murray, 2014)e and GameInformer (Reeves, 2018). Many popular sources are in fact lists of the “top 10 most nostalgic flash games” for example, leading me to believe that already people do think that flash games are nostalgic.
Below is my weekly plan for this project. I will try to create content with trending effects and sounds so that they get noticed in order to gain user feedback on my analytical posts, but also in the observation of people’s reactions and potentially nostalgic feelings towards the game-play of flash games.
I have also included the pre-made starter packs I found of my main audience (people who grew up playing flash games):
- Esposito, N. N.d., How Video Game History Shows Us Why Video Game Nostalgia Is So Important Now, University of Technology of Compiègne, viewed 19 August 2021, <http://www.utc.fr/~nesposit/publications/esposito2005history.pdf>
- Makar, J. 2002, Macromedia Flash MX Game Design Demystified, Macromedia Press, viewed 19 August 2021, <https://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=30431&seqNum=3)>
- Manovich, L. 2002, Generation Flash, viewed 19 August 2021, <http://org.noemalab.eu/sections/ideas/ideas_articles/pdf/manovich_generation_flash.pdf>
- Neeta. 2018, Extremely Popular Flash Game Genres You Should Know, viewed 18 August 2021, <http://www.forumfanatics.com/games/extremely-popular-flash-game-genres-you-should-know/>
- Reeves, B. 2018, How Flash Games Changed Video Game History, viewed 18 August 2021, <https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/22/how-flash-games-changed-video-game-history>
- Salter, A. & Murray, J. 2014, How Flash Games Shape the Internet, viewed 19 August 2021, <https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/11/how-flash-games-shaped-the-internet/383136/>
- Wulf, T., Bowman, N. D., Velez, J. A., & Breuer, J. 2020, Once upon a game: Exploring video game nostalgia and its impact on well-being, Psychology of Popular Media, 9(1), 83–95. https://doi.org/10.1037/ppm0000208
Reddit Threads from Pitch Video
Articles Shown in Pitch Video